- Rammed earth columns on either side of headboard frame the master bed
- Use of interior rammed earth creates acoustical privacy between master bedroom, guest bedroom, and living space
- Many of the building’s 45° angles allow a seamless fit into its surrounding arbutus grove
Technical & Performance Details
During a winter power outage lasting for four and a half days, and no internal source of heat, occupants reported that all that was necessary to be comfortable was to put on a sweater!
- Outside temperature varied between 0° and -7°C (32°-19.4°F)
- Inside temperature only dropped 5.5°C from 20° to 14.5°C (68°-58°F) over 4.5 days
- Very limited solar gain due to west orientation and cloudy weather
Awards and Recognition
- 2005 Georgie Award Best Single Family Detached Home 2,000 – 2,999 sq.ft.
- 2005 Georgie Award Best Master Suite – New
- 2005 CARE Best Bathroom Award
- 2005 Silver Best Home Builder in BC Small Volume
- 2005 Silver CARE Award for Environmental Achievement
- 2005 Silver CARE Best Single Family Detached Custom Home 2,000 – 2,999 sq.ft.
- 2005 Silver CARE Best Kitchen (New or Renovated) 150 – 250 sq.ft.
- 2005 Silver CARE Best Residential Interior – Residential
Location: Salt Spring Island, British Columbia
Designer / Builder: Terra Firma Builders